Smiths Detection in Hemel Hempstead is seeking a Project Manager to join our team on a permanent basis. This is a broad role with project delivery responsibilities ranging from work packages, multiple low/medium categorised projects and major projects.
As an experienced professional you will be responsible for applying delivery excellence to your assigned projects through the application of various project management methodologies. You will be accountable for the successful delivery of projects that span Commercial and/or Technology leading integrated project teams in a matrix organisation.
Duties & Responsibilities
* Accountable for the initiating, planning, monitoring & controlling, communicating and close-out phases for all assigned projects, which includes the completion of Product Lifecycle Process Gates where applicable.
* Lead the activities of integrated project and/or cross-functional teams to achieve successful completion of projects to their committed delivery dates within budgeted costs and in accordance with relevant processes.
* Execute projects in accordance with the standardised business rhythm that coordinates the activities of project management, finance and project controls teams. Accountable for ensuring that project records are maintained within defined software tools/databases.
* Ensure that assigned projects have a minimum number of artefacts (e.g. Work breakdown Structure, Cost Breakdown Structure, Responsibility Assignment Matrix, Responsible Accountable Consulted Informed (RACI) Matrix, time scheduling, resource planning, risk and change management controls, etc) commensurate to the project categorisation.
* Accountable for the establishment of cost and schedule baselines and the maintenance of such baselines through forecast updates and the management of scope.
* With support from Project Controls conduct monthly variance analysis for explaining and interpreting impact against the baseline and the completion and tracking of corrective/preventative actions. Present this information at monthly project reviews or ad-hoc as required.
Typical duties specific to Commercial orientated projects include:
* Lead or provide input to Customer tenders working in accordance with the Bid and Pursue Programme Lifecycle Process with emphasis on the preparation of a compliance matrix and providing a clear account of associated risks.
* Negotiate and reach agreement with customers or end users on aspects such as project deliverables, specifications, detailed requirements, budget/contract value or schedule.
* Responsible for completing project Kick-off and Sales to Project Management Handover.
* External stakeholder management during project execution, acting as a key customer interface and delivering in accordance with customer expectations, but robustly managing scope as per defined contractual requirements. This includes progress reporting, change management, risk and issues management and contract closeout.
Typical duties specific to Technology orientated projects include:
* Initiate and control feasibility or science and technology studies in accordance with the PEC Technology Development Management Process.
* Lead the planning and execution of product development, enhancement or sustaining projects defined by an approved business case prepared by Product Management.
* Work closely with Product Management to deliver project outcomes in accordance with the business case or to manage adjustments in a controlled manner. Initiate product release activities and support the handover to Manufacturing resolving issues as required.
* Support the resolution of field service issues or product complaints.
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity.
* Internationally recognised professional qualification in project management (equivalent to IPMA level C/D) desirable.
* Degree qualification (HND minimum) in relevant discipline (Business/Project Management or Technology/Engineering) desirable.
* Experience operating as a project manager, with direct experience of engineering/technology or construction/infrastructure environments desirable. Can demonstrate experience of the complete project lifecycle and degrees of project complexity. Experience with Bio-Tech projects is a plus.
* Thorough knowledge of project management methodologies (e.g. Waterfall, PRINCE2, Agile etc) gleaned from a mixture of experience, exposure and training.
* Good level of understanding of planning methodologies/techniques and other aspects of project controls such as earned value management.
* Awareness of complex integrated technology-based sensor systems and the critical roles that the technology and products play in the market.
* Experience of baseline planning and scheduling, forecasting and estimating, cost/schedule integration techniques.
* Experience in critical path analysis, reporting, risk management tracking and the completion of corrective action plans.
* Exposure to the use of estimating, scheduling, risk and change software tools such as: SAP, Primavera, Oracle ERP, MS Project, Pertmaster, Active Risk Manager, Cobra, Power BI.
* Strong verbal and written communication and people management skills.
* Good problem-solving skills combined with developing experience leading integrated teams to benefit the delivery of projects.
* Eligible for UK Security Clearance.
At Smiths we apply leading-edge technology to design, manufacture and deliver market-leading innovative solutions that meet our customers’ evolving needs, and touch the lives of millions of people every day. We are a FTSE100, global business of around 23,000 colleagues, based in 55 countries. Our solutions have a real impact on lives across the planet, enabling industry, improving healthcare, enhancing security, advancing connectivity and supporting new homes. Our products and services are often critical to our customers’ operations, while our proprietary technology and high service levels help create competitive advantage. We welcome colleagues with a curious mind, who are happy with responsibility, enjoy a challenge and are attracted by the idea of working at a business with an almost 170 year history of innovation, and five global divisions, all experts in their field.
About Smiths Detection
Smiths Detection is a global leader in threat detection and screening technologies for aviation, ports and borders, urban security and defence. With more than 40 years of field-tested experience, we deliver the solutions needed to protect society from the threat and illegal passage of explosives, prohibited weapons, contraband, toxic chemicals and narcotics. Every minute of every day our technology and our people make the world a safer place. Smiths Detection is part of Smiths Group, a global leader in applying advanced technologies to markets in threat as well as contraband detection, energy, medical devices, communications and engineered components. Smiths Group employs around 23,000 people in more than 50 countries.
Job Type: Permanent
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
To apply for this job please visit www.cv-library.co.uk.